Sunday, September 14, 2008

God Knew Everything About Me, Everything

Over the past week Psalm 139 has come up five times in either lessons or conversation with fellow believers so I feel led to write my thoughts about it. Psalm 139 is about God's Perfect Knowledge of Man. It tells us that God knows everything we think, do or say. He is present where ever we go. That is easy enough to grasp but there is more to it than that. Verse 16 says "Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me. When as yet there were none of them." That means that God knew all the days of my life before I was ever born. This is where my flesh can get in the way of God's message. I'll give you an example. My brother and I were abandoned by our parents when we were just babies, 18 months apart. We were left in a very abusive environment and in very poor conditions. My brother passed away when he was only eleven years old, I was ten. The minister who dedicated my brother sent me a letter trying to help me understand what had happened. In that letter he quoted this Psalm to let me know that God had a plan for me. The problem was, I was lost so I did not understand the Word of God.(that's another blog) When I read that God knew all the days of my life I became angry, thinking if God knew what my life would be then why did He even let me be born. I never mentioned that feeling to anyone, not even after I had received Jesus as my Savior. It was just a question I always carried with me. Finally one night while I was in prayer the question just popped out, God why! He answered very clearly, because I knew that I would carry you through it and I would use this experience to advance My kingdom. You see, we tend to get caught up in the why me train of thought. What we should focus on is that God is always with us and has a plan for us to be used by Him, even in our darkest hour. Today I speak to young people who are in similar situations at schools and the Y.C.C. I am able to tell them that I was where they are now and I made it through. I am able to tell them that God brought me through it and as I got closer to Him, He gave me peace and understanding. God didn't take my brother from me, He blessed me with him for a few years and I am grateful for that. He didn't take my parents from me, He put me where He needed me to be so that I would become the servant I am today. Yes, God knew everyday you would live, good and bad. Yes, He intended you to go through all of them so that you would draw closer to Him. If you are carrying some hurt from your past or if you went through something you don't understand, ask Him what He needs for you to learn from it or how He needs to use it. I promise you He will reveal it to you and give you the same peace He has given me. Lord, I thank you for allowing me to experience the things You have and for molding me the way You needed me to be.

10 comments:

NikkiSmith said...

shine david shine =)
i am proud of you!
love, nikki

KevinConnell said...

"...if God knew what my life would be then why did He even let me be born." Arent you glad He brought you through? Now you can help pull others through :-)

campbellchronicles said...

Well said! I struggled with the same issue until I was baptized last year. I could never understand why my father chose to reject a relationship with me. Now, I know God was using that situation to help other girls who faced the same issue. How blessed are we to have a father now...a father who loves us unconditionally. I'm so thankful for my past because God was preparing me to help others. Awesome entry David!!!

Saying Grace said...

Sad things have happened to me. Abuse and neglect from my family from the time I was a child up until as late as last year. There were times when I was very bitter and broken. But the Lord has lifted me up and forgiven me and taught me how to forgive through His perfect love and grace. I am so grateful to you for sharing your story so that others can see our wonderful Heavenly Father through your words.

Jenny said...

It is amazing what God shows us and how he uses what we have gone through to show others of His love. God will use you and your life story in many ways.

bebprov356 said...

It's amazing how God works in people's lives...we each go through our own struggles, some greater than others. It's like some are in military training...extreme, strip you of all your dignity and worth, to get you focused and ready for grueling battle. For others, it may be much less intense like someone in technology support, where life isn't as difficult. Life experiences are more even keel, manageable, and consistent. It may seem a disparity and unfair. However, God has His plan for each one of us. We each require a different training program to do the job God has called us to do. We need to accept that plan and do the best we can at it. As it says in Colossians 3:23 "In whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men." Many times we forget who we are living for, take things for granted, and blame God for what seems to not be going right. We forget Who is right beside us guiding each step of the way!

Thanks, David...for letting yourself be used by God.

Rebekah Brant said...

my mom had a similar situation she was abandoned at 6 months old and then adopted into a family with an alcoholic mother and a dad who lived for his job. Sometimes I wouldnt understand how my mom couldnt be mad at the circumstances and then she would tell me that it could have always been worse. Her parents could have decided to abort her and then I wouldnt be here. I know from her experiences made her a major prayer warrior and I wouldnt be saved today if my mom hadnt faithfully prayed for me for 24 years. So I say thank you God for the experiences he gave you Dave. I know that I dont know the extent of them or how hard they were on you. But you are able to reach people I cant...God uses you every day to reach people who come from similar backgrounds. Praise God !

TheFiveOneGal said...

Hi David,
thank you for uing your testimony as part of your lesson yest (Nov 2) in Sr. Hi. I'm going to link this into a blog of mine...www.thefiveonegal.blogspot.com
Karen K

Unknown said...

Your words are always an inspiration to me. I thank God tht at he brought you in to Mike and I's life! Keep preaching...it is definetly your calling!

Mike and Kim Helinsky said...

Amen Brother!